We made it through another winter, and that means the sun is shining. It’s time to get some home maintenance done before the Texas sun starts threatening to melt us! A lot of these are tasks should be performed throughout the year. Let’s take a look at ten important must-do’s and some more leisurely tasks, but a little less time consuming!
1. Replace your HVAC filters- this is one of those things you should be doing every few months. During Spring and Summer your AC is running at lower temps for longer times. Making sure you have a fresh AC filter can save you money on your energy bill and extend the life of your blower. This allows it to not work so hard to cool your home.
2. Check your smoke detectors- A good rule of thumb is to change your batteries during each time change, aka daylight savings time! This will bring you peace of mind, and you will also be staying ahead of the dreaded dying battery beep!
3. Examine thresholds & re-caulk- Cold weather can cause caulk and threshold barriers to crack. Especially when you are in the Houston area when the temperature fluctuates as much as it does during our “Winter” months. By checking and re-caulking these areas, you are insuring optimal seals to prevent water leaks, critter intrusions, and reducing heating/cooling costs!
4. Roof inspection- Your roof is one of your homes most valuable assets. It serves as protection from the elements and takes a beating while doing so. While Winter has come and gone, that means that hurricane season is around the corner. When you inspect your roof you should be looking for any signs of roof damage, loose or eroding flashing around pipes, vents, etc, and any signs of water damage.
5. Clean out your gutters- Like above, Hurricane season brings pretty severe storms. You will want to make sure your gutters are clean and clog free so that they hold up during the heavier rain. You can remove the larger debris, such as sticks, leaves, etc with a towel and put it into a bucket. Once you have that all cleaned out, you can flush the gutter lengths with a hose!
6. Clean your dryer vent- A dryer connected to a duct filled with lint and debris will not function at optimal levels (plus it is a massive fire hazard). Once you disconnect your dryer, get to cleaning with a cleaning kit that you can buy at your local hardware store! It really is a simple process and a important one at that!
7. Inspect Foundation- Concrete expands and contracts with the fluctuation of the temperatures. It is best to check for any major issues before the expansion happens over the summer. Foundation issues will cause a slew of other issues for your home, so it’s crucial to stay aware and tend to your foundation yearly. Not sure what to look for? Send us a message, we would love to help you!
8. Landscaping- Now is the perfect time, if you haven’t already to plant your little heart away. Whether you like potted plants, have a lush garden, or need to patch up some grass with a few squares of sod, now is the time to hop to it. If you are planning on doing a little sod work, remember to keep it watered thoroughly!
9. Sprinklers- If you have a sprinkler system, now is the time to make sure it is working properly. If you don’t have a sprinkler system, it is a great time to have one installed so that your lawn is healthy, and your foundation is watered! (more on foundation watering to come!)
10. Pressure Wash- Pressure washing your sidewalks, driveway, patio and exterior façade is a fast and satisfying way to clean the exterior of your home. Your concrete has seen a lot of traffic and a good pressure wash will improve the look and longevity of your walk ways. While pressure washing can be a thrilling and gratifying way of cleaning, it can also strip paint and materials. Always research prior and use caution during!
Most people think of Spring Cleaning as deep cleaning the interior of their home, and while that’s important, I like to tackle the exterior tasks while the weather is not too hot. If at any time during your inspections and cleaning, you find any questionable repairs, we are a full service team and are always available for free estimates, and expedited repairs!
Happy Spring Cleaning from the Strack Homes family!